- Business & Commercial Law
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Business Organizations
- Real Estate
- Eminent Domain
- Government Agencies & Programs
- Government Contracts
A respected figure in the legal profession, Scot Sheldon has been licensed to practice in the State of Texas since 1979. Achieving an AV Rating, the pinnacle of peer review in legal ability and ethical standards, in 1999, he has consistently retained this rating ever since. His legal journey began as an in-house attorney for a New York Stock Exchange Company, a role that refined his expertise in securities and finance. Moreover, he contributed to an acquisition process resulting in an oil and gas company becoming a wholly-owned subsidiary of the NYSE Company.
In 1982, Mr. Sheldon transitioned to private practice, establishing his office in Beaumont, Texas. His comprehensive experience has earned him a stellar reputation as a commercial transactional attorney. He proudly represents a multitude of organizations, including The Port of Port Arthur Navigation District of Jefferson County, Texas (for over 35 years), the South East Texas Regional Planning Commission (for over 35 years), the Port of Orange, the Calhoun Port Authority, and various businesses in the Southeast Texas area.
Mr. Sheldon’s extensive client base includes over 15 car dealerships, 3 boat dealerships, and several construction companies. His legal practice covers the formation and startup of business entities, mergers and acquisitions, and the negotiation and preparation of pertinent contracts. Importantly, he has held the roles of Issuer Counsel and Bond Counsel in multiple billion-dollar tax-exempt and taxable bond financings across several sectors. These encompass commercial, health care, housing, pollution control, sewage and solid waste, and industrial/plant expansion projects.
Another facet of Mr. Sheldon’s practice involves the negotiation and preparation of pipeline and other easement agreements. His proficiency in these matters has garnered him a reputation as a trusted attorney for a large number of landowner clients across Texas.
Outside of law, Mr. Sheldon is an avid sports enthusiast and has coached baseball at various levels throughout his legal career. He has served on the board of numerous charitable organizations. Apart from being a licensed attorney in Texas, Mr. Sheldon is an active member and former Director of the Jefferson County Bar Association and a member of the Texas Bar Foundation.
- Pepperdine University School of Law, Malibu, California
- J.D. – 1979
- Lamar University, Beaumont, Texas
- B.A. – 1977
- Honors: cum laude
- Texas, 1979
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Texas
- AV Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
- Port of Port Arthur Navigation District of Jefferson County, Texas
- South East Texas Regional Planning Commissions
- H.B. Neild Construction
- Texas Marine
- Southeast Texas Classic Automotive (13 dealerships)
- Larry A. Kelley, Exec. Port Dir., Port of Port Arthur
- Shanna Burke, Exec. Dir., SETRPC
- J. Roane Ruddy, CEO, Southeast Texas Classic Automotive
- Mike Hebert, Pres. & CEO, Texas Marine
- Jefferson County Bar Association, 1979 – Present
- Texas Bar Foundation, 2010 – Present
Current Employment Position